Thinking about things like burial services and creating wills at an early age may seem strange because technically, young people have longer to live than those in their golden years. Still, everyone will eventually face death when it arrives. When will that time come?
Nobody knows for sure. But one thing is certain, people will always seek the services of funeral homes upon death, both for themselves and for their beloved.
This article will list down some innovative trends introduced by funeral homes that can make things more meaningful upon death:
1) Extending efforts to hold community programs like arranging events which don’t have any direct correlation to death. Activities could be in the form of prayer vigils and tribute concerts, sporting events that have a grand raffle prize of funeral package worth $10,000, or a discussion forum where people can ask anything about embalming or writing wills and obituaries appropriately.
2) Building amenities that can actually serve as a home during wakes. For mourning families, this is essential in order to create a home-like ambience. Some of the options include setting up catering services, having fully-stocked bars, and building coffee kiosks. Services like Wi-Fi access, child care, flower arrangements, and even visitation rooms with beds are allowed in some states. Offered services may vary per state but all of them promote convenience for a much more enjoyable stay.
3) Going for eco-friendly and green burials. With the never-ending worldwide battle against climate change, people should embody eco-friendliness even upon their death. They should go for green burials if they want to build a legacy for the environment.
These are some of the examples of eco-friendly or green burials:
1. Chipotle Burial (throwing the wrapped bodies directly to the ground)
2. Water-based type of cremation
3. Growing a tree from a planted seed in an urn
4. Throwing the ashes across the ground, sea, or air
5. Scattering ashes to reinforce man-made coral reefs
4) Giving back through various charitable institutions. Giving is always better than receiving, especially when a person is about to permanently leave this world. Opt for donating to charitable institutions, schools, and non-profit organizations than receiving costly flowers and other condolences. By visiting the homepage of online obituaries, one can already be directed to a link that can be used for donating both small and large amounts. Requesting donations for a chosen charity is also possible through an online sign-up form on the guestbook provided. With this, the family and friends of the departed will be able to help fulfill his selfless desires.
5) Supporting the payment for the burial costs. A person can rest much more peacefully if he will be able to support the burial costs for his death. With the help of an online page for donations, funeral companies will also be able to cover some of the burial costs apart from sending flowers to offer their condolences. Practical people should consider this trend especially now that there’s a constant price increase in everything.
This trend is essential for both underinsured and uninsured citizens. Those $5 to $10 donations, including the hundred and thousand dollars from other institutions and donors, can definitely help the survived family members in granting the wish of the deceased – particularly in terms of his desired burial.
With the ever-changing technological landscape and customer demands, burial trends will continue to change as well. Of course, competition among firms will never cease and will only intensify. Still, one sure thing is that the companies in this kind of industry will always be needed, particularly in helping the deceased in their journey – from their burial to their final resting place.